The Junior Program is for students entering the 3rd & 4th grade. Juniors pick from classes in all artistic media: music, theater, movement, writing, visual and multi-media arts. A teaching assistant guides them from class to class. This program is designed to offer students the freedom to participate in all of the arts that SFOA offers, while still recognizing the specific needs of younger artists. Half day option is available.
* SFOA recognizes that some children may experience performance anxiety and find it difficult participating in the public performance of a particular class. It is the policy of SFOA that no student be compelled to perform with his or her group. However it is expected that the child remain with and support his or her peers while they rehearse/practice. An alternative, non-performing activity may be offered to that student during the time their peer group is rehearsing, at the discretion of the administration.
2020 junior CLASS DESCRIPTIONS
**ALL CLASSES SUBJECT TO CHANGE **
SFOA is fortunate to welcome teaching artists who are professionals in their fields. Sometimes their schedules change on short notice and ours may too. If a class is canceled or changed, we will contact you and do our best to place you in a similar class. Thank you in advance for your understanding.
View full bios for our Teaching Artists here
- Yoga- Start your morning off with some soothing music and downward dog. We will be awaking the body with simple breathing practices and yoga poses to help feel refreshed before your day of classes! (Movement ~ Instructor Isabella Wellman-Webster)
- Junior Music- Junior music will expose students to a wide range of musical experiences, including singing, learning basic rhythm and harmony, listening to different styles of music, as well as lots of field trips! (Music ~ Instructor TBA)
- Super Hero Theater- Back by popular demand! Be a part of the ultimate superhero show. Campers will invent their own superheroes and help write the plot of a dramatic and action packed performance. (Theater ~ Instructor Dylan Billings)
- Bizarre Books: New this Year! A book opens one way and is read in just one direction, right? WRONG. Forget everything you thought you knew about books. Let’s get weird. Let’s write and build some unique and creative pieces. (Visual Art ~ Instructor Paige LeDuc)
- Mache Magic- Make it big, make it colorful, make it fun! The sky's the limit in this paper mache sculpture and painting class! Learn to construct large scale art pieces with sturdy bases and colorful finishes. If you can imagine it, we can make it happen in this class! (Visual Art ~ Instructor Molly Brown)
- Movin’ & Groovin’- Learn, create and share all sorts of unique dance techniques. Together we will choreograph a performance where you can show off your favorite moves. Move your body, use your energy, and spend some time outside in the sunshine! (Dance ~ Instructor Dylan Billings)
- Tiny Terrarium- New this Year! That's not jelly in that jar! It's a whole tiny world! Learn how ecosystems function and create your own enclosed ecosystem in a tiny terrarium jar. This class will involve time in nature to gather materials and itty bitty landscaping that fits in the palm of your hand. (Visual Art ~ Instructor Molly Brown)
- The Storyteller- New this Year! Do you have a story inside that you just have to tell? In this fun junior creative writing class, you'll be able to write a short story and turn it into a real book, designed by you! (Writing ~ Instructor Natalie Rogers)
- Hello Hollywood- New This Year! Ready for your close up? In this class, we will recreate our favorite movie scenes and songs. Sing like Elsa and Ana, cast spells like Harry Potter, or steal Christmas like the Grinch. It’s up to you! (Theater ~ Instructor TBA)
- Improv Theater- New this Year! Improv is a form of theatre, often comedy, in which most or all of what is performed is unplanned or unscripted. We will use exercises and games to create a comical story on the spot. Learn how to think quickly and build your own characters for the sake of humoring those around you. (Theater ~ Instructor Dezirae Zaman)
- Poetry SLAM! Poetry Slam is all about the awesome power of words! Juniors will practice writing their own material and performing it out loud using acting skills and rhythms. Learn to express yourself through poems and short stories, and have the opportunity to perform your original work at Junior Finale. (Writing ~ Instructor Natalie Rogers)
- Dance Party! Learn new dance moves and show of the awesome moves you've already got! Take field trips around MDI to show off your favorite dances- maybe even start a Flash Mob or two! This dance class will encourage creativity, improvisation, and fun! (Dance ~ Instructor Dylan Billings)
- DIY Decorations- New this Year! In this class we will explore creative ways to personalize room decor: make your own picture displays, macrame wall decorations and plant hangers, mobiles and more! Let your personality shine through handmade accessories and decorations. (Visual Art ~ Instructor Mary DeSimone)
- Drawing and Painting- Practice and improve your skills in this drawing and painting class. We will go over a variety of skills such as perspective, still life, basic color theory and more. Artists will use drawing pencils and a variety of paints to explore these skills. Projects will be catered to the classes interests, whether you have been drawing and painting for years or are just getting into it- this class will have something for you! (Visual Art ~ Instructor Molly Brown)
- Lights! Camera! Action! Join this fun and exciting junior theatre class, where students will create their own characters and perform an original play at Junior Finale! (Theater ~ Instructor Natalie Rogers)