The Junior Program is for students entering the 3rd & 4th grade. Juniors pick from classes in all artistic media: music, theater, movement, writing, visual and multi-media arts. A teaching assistant guides them from class to class. This program is designed to offer students the freedom to participate in all of the arts that SFOA offers, while still recognizing the specific needs of younger artists. Half day option is available.
* SFOA recognizes that some children may experience performance anxiety and find it difficult participating in the public performance of a particular class. It is the policy of SFOA that no student be compelled to perform with his or her group. However it is expected that the child remain with and support his or her peers while they rehearse/practice. An alternative, non-performing activity may be offered to that student during the time their peer group is rehearsing, at the discretion of the administration.
2019 junior CLASS DESCRIPTIONS
**ALL CLASSES SUBJECT TO CHANGE **
SFOA is fortunate to welcome teaching artists who are professionals in their fields. Sometimes their schedules change on short notice and ours may too. If a class is canceled or changed, we will contact you and do our best to place you in a similar class. Thank you in advance for your understanding.
View full bios for our Teaching Artists here
- Jewelry Making: New this Year! Learn to make jewelry with wire, pliers, beads, and the interesting objects available to us on the coast of Maine-- stones, shells, seaglass, and more! (Mixed Media Art ~ Instructor Molly Brown)
- Junior Chorus- Junior Chorus will expose students to a wide range of musical experiences, including singing, learning basic rhythm and harmony, listening to different styles of music, as well as lots of field trips! (Music ~ Instructor TBA)
- Super Hero Theater- Back by popular demand! Be a part of the ultimate superhero show. Campers will invent their own superheroes and help write the plot of a dramatic and action packed performance. (Theater ~ Instructor Dylan Billings)
- Exploring Music: New this Year! Music can be everywhere... we'll explore non-traditional instruments, make our own instruments, and use them create some great music together! (Music ~ Instructor Tennille Moore)
- Mache Magic; New This Year! Make it big, make it colorful, make it fun! The sky's the limit in this paper mache sculpture and painting class! Learn to construct large scale art pieces with sturdy bases and colorful finishes. If you can imagine it, we can make it happen in this class! (Visual Art ~ Instructor Molly Brown)
- Dance Party! Learn new dance moves and show of the awesome moves you've already got! Take field trips around MDI to show off your favorite dances- maybe even start a Flash Mob or two! This dance class will encourage creativity, improvisation, and fun! (Movement ~ Instructor TBA)
- Landscapes of Acadia; New this Year! A beginner class for you to learn how to create silhouette landscapes using the islands numerous famous landscapes as our reference. We will learn color mixing, and having fun painting every day! (Visual Art ~ Instructor Maddy Sargent)
- Movin’ & Groovin’- Learn, create and share all sorts of unique dance techniques. Together we will choreograph a performance where you can show off your favorite moves. Move your body, use your energy, and spend some time outside in the sunshine! (Movement ~ Instructor Dylan Billings)
- Lights! Camera! Action! Join this fun and exciting junior theatre class, where students will create their own characters and perform an original play at Junior Finale! (Theater ~ Instructor Natalie Rogers)
- Cape Breton Dance: New This Year! Up in the highlands of Nova Scotia the people of Cape Breton have summer dance parties. Come learn how to do a Cape Breton Square set and some basic Cape Breton Step Dancing. We'll also have time for our own creative movement. (Movement ~ Instructor Tennille Moore)
- Theater with Nicole- New this Year! Learn stage presence, acting skills and performance technique as we develop our own theater piece. Work with improvisational theater and embracing story through fairytales and personal expression! Have fun as an actor within an ensemble. (Theater ~ Instructor Nicole Cardano)
- Poetry SLAM! Poetry Slam is all about the awesome power of words! Juniors will practice writing their own material and performing it out loud using acting skills and rhythms. Learn to express yourself through poems and short stories, and have the opportunity to perform your original work at Junior Finale. (Writing ~ Instructor Natalie Rogers)
- Yoga/Tai Chi; New This Year! This fun class gets kids moving through active learning and creative play, incorporating yoga, tai chi and games. We'll practice yoga poses like, downward dog and triangle, learn a simple tai chi form and play complimentary games designed to increase balance, focus and flexibility. No experience necessary. Please note: This class does not focus on the martial arts aspect of Tai Chi! (Movement ~ Instructor Monica Johnson)
- Drawing and Painting- New this year! Practice and improve your skills in this drawing and painting class. We will go over a variety of skills such as perspective, still life, basic color theory and more. Artists will use drawing pencils and a variety of paints to explore these skills. Projects will be catered to the classes interests, whether you have been drawing and painting for years or are just getting into it- this class will have something for you! (Visual Art ~ Instructor Molly Brown)
- Fantasy Storybook- New this Year! Write your own short stories and then bring your fantasy worlds to life through illustration! This class will incorporate writing, visual art, and mixed media art. It's the perfect way to bring your creative spirit to life! (Visual Art/Writing ~ Instructors Tennille Moore and Maddy Sargent)